Nursing Scholarships - National and Local
National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) offers the following awards for to honor Hispanic nurses for their work: Ildaura Murillo-Rohde Award for Education Excellence, the Henrietta Villaescusa Community Service Award, the Janie Menchaca Wilson Leadership Award, and the Sarah Gomez Erlach Humanitarian Award. Deadline: Early April.
Nurse Corps Scholarship Program - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration has a Nursing Scholarship Program.
You must be enrolled or admitted to an accredited nursing program in order to be eligible.Deadline: May
The NHSC (National Health Service Corps) Scholarship Program awards scholarships to students pursuing primary health care professions training (including nursing) in return for a commitment to provide health care to communities in need, upon graduation and the completion of training. Deadline early May.
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) awards many different scholarships to students showing dedication to the pursuit of an undergraduate degree in one of the following areas: history, political science, economics, government or nursing.
Nursing School Scholarships
The following scholarships are one-time awards of $1000. Only one properly submitted application is necessary for consideration for any award in this group or for the Madeline Picket Halbert Cogswell Nursing Scholarship listed under Special Scholarships.
Caroline E. Holt Nursing Scholarship
The Caroline E. Holt Nursing Scholarship is awarded to students who are in financial need and are accepted and enrolled into an accredited school of nursing.
Deadline: February 15.
Mildred Nutting Nursing Scholarship
The Mildred Nutting Nursing Scholarship is awarded to students who have been accepted or are currently enrolled in an accredited school of nursing. Preference will be given to candidates from the greater Lowell, MA area.
Deadline: February 15.
Madeline Pickett (Halbert) Cogswell Nursing Scholarship
The Madeline Pickett (Halbert) Cogswell Nursing Scholarship is awarded to students who are accepted or enrolled in an accredited school of nursing. Applicants must be members, descendents of members or be eligible for membership in NSDAR. DAR Member Number must be on the Application.
This is a one-time award of $1000.
Deadline: February 15
Irene and Daisy MacGregor Memorial Scholarship
The Irene and Daisy MacGregor Memorial Scholarship is awarded to students of high scholastic standing and character who have been accepted into or are pursuing an approved course of study to become a medical doctor it is also available to students who have been accepted into or who are pursuing an approved course of study in the field of psychiatric nursing at the graduate level at accredited medical schools, colleges, or universities. There is a preference to females "if equally qualified".
Deadline: April 15.
The National Black Nurses Association, Inc. (NBNA) offers the following scholarships to their members: Dr. Lauranne Sams Scholarship, NBNA Board of Directors, Scholarship, Margaret Pemberton Scholarship, Rita E. Miller Scholarship, Maria Dudley Advanced Scholarship, Martha R. Dudley Scholarship, Martha A. Dawson Genesis Scholarship, Reverend Pauline L. Cole Scholarship, Sheila Haley Scholarship, United Health Foundation Scholarship, Esther Colliflower/VITAS Innovative Hospice Care Scholarship. The scholarships range from $500-$2000. Deadline: April 15.
The Nurses of Tomorrow Scholarship offers three $1000 scholarships and is funded by Medical Solutions and its Traveling Nurses in honor of Nurses Week. Deadline: June 6, 2015.
The American Assembly for Men in Nursing offers the Jadeh Marselis-Moore
Student Nurse Essay Contest and the Student Nurse Essay Contest for Male Pre-RN student enrolled in the last year of an educational program leading to NCLEX-RN eligibility. Deadline early June.
The Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates is a professional organization of nurses and associates dedicated to the safe and effective practice of gastroenterology and endoscopy nursing. They offer the SGNA RN General Education Scholarship. It offers funds of $2,500 as a reimbursement to a student in an accredited nursing program. You must be a full-time nursing student with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- The David E. Knox Memorial Nursing Fellowship supports outstanding candidates in the pursuit of registered nursing degrees and service to small Alaskan communities.
- Arizona Nurses Foundation (AzNF) is a non-profit organization is dedicated to the further the nursing profession by providing scholarships to nursing students. The offer three types of scholarships: $500 scholarships for ADN students, $1000 scholarships for BSN and RN-BSN students, and $2500 scholarships for Masters/Doctoral students. Deadline: March 1 and October 1.
- Scholarships for Arkansas Students Student Loan Program the Nurse Educator Loan provides forgivable loans to students pursuing a course of study leading to qualification as a nurse educator. Funding for this program is provided through the Arkansas State Board of Nursing. All eligible applicants will be considered for award by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing
- Lauren C. Poon, MD Scholarship for $1,000 (no longer being offered). Established in memory of Dr. Lauren C. Poon, physician, who grew up in the Castro Valley community. You must be an incoming freshman enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university, a High School Graduate of Alameda County, with a career interest in medicine, public health or allied health field. Deadline: March 15.
- Colorado Nurses Foudation Nightingale Awards to honor nurses who best exemplify the philosophy and practice of Florence Nightingale.
- Colorado Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents Parley Nurse's Scholarship (pdf) - Candidates for this scholarship shall be daughters, sons, spouses, granddaughters or great granddaughters of a veteran.
- Connecticut Nurses’ Foundation is an organization created for advancing both the art and science of nursing. They offer the following scholarships Jennifer Hawke-Petit Pediatric Scholarship, Polly Barey Scholarship, Frank Chant Memorial Award Scholarship, Dr. Judith Hriceniak Memorial Fund, Brother Frances Smith Scholarship, Continuity of Care Scholarship, and the Dr. Sheila Packard Memoral Scholarship.
- The Nursing Incentive Program is for Legal residents of Delaware. U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens can apply. It is for full-time students enrolled in an accredited program leading to certification as an RN or LPN. High school seniors must rank in upper half of class with at least a 2.5 cumulative, unweighted GPA. Undergraduates must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Although this is a loan program, the state offers loan forgiveness provision at a rate of one year of employment at a state-owned hospital or clinic for one year of loan.
- The Dr. Sidney Davidson Nursing Scholarship for LPN's pursuing an A.S. degree in Nursing at Palm Beach State College.
- The Gratitude Fund for graduating high school senior pursuing an undergraduate degree in nursing.
- The Robert D. Handley Memorial Scholarship for health professionals pursuing a degree in Nursing.
- The Kathy Heming Scholarship for a graduating high school senior
- The Sunburst Foundation Community Scholarship for a graduating minority senior attending a public or independent high school in Palm Beach or Martin Counties with a major in the physical sciences (including nursing)
- Georgia Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents' Parley Nurses' Scholarship Given by American Legion Auxiliary, 3284 East Main St, College Park, GA 30337 Eligibility: Georgia residents interested in nursing education and daughters of veterans
- Georgia Nurses Foundation sponsors the following scholarships for nurses: the Katherine Pope Scholarship awarded by the Georgia Nurses Foundation; the Annie Lou Overton Scholarship for the Georgia Nurses Association.
- The Georgia Association for Nursing Education (GANE) offers three nursing scholarships for students enrolled in Georgia’s nursing programs. These include: Lucy Willard Scholarship which is given to an Associate Degree or Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Student, Sarah Helen Killgore Scholarship which is given to an Associate Degree or Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Student, and the Spillman-Bischoff Scholarship which is given to a Graduate Nursing Student.
- The Jean M. Brown Nursing Scholarship is administered by the Community Foundation of Central Illinois. The Community Foundation of Central Illinois' service area is a 50 mile radius of Peoria, Illinois. Applications received from outside this service area are not eligible for review.
- The Nursing Scholarship Fund (no longer being offered)was created by the 1990 Indiana General Assembly to encourage and promote qualified individuals to pursue a nursing career in Indiana. To be eligible students must be admitted to an approved institution of higher learning as a full time (12 hours or more) or part time (6-11 hours) nursing student and be an Indiana resident and a US citizen. The maximum annual scholarship is $5,000. Deadline: varies.
- The Nursing Incentive Scholarship Fund (NISF) provides scholarships to Kentucky residents who will be attending approved prelicensure nursing programs (registered nurse or practical nurse) or graduate nursing programs. NISF recipients are selected individually by the Board, using specified criteria. The amount of each scholarship is $3,000 per year. NISF scholarships may be used for cost of living expenses, as well as school expenses. Deadline: June 1.
- The Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant (WSSAG) program is for students for the following fields: child care, human services, teaching, nursing, physical and occupational therapy, social work, and public service. Current high school seniors, full-time and part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in an eligible accredited Maryland postsecondary institution. The award is $2,000 per year if attending a Maryland community college full-time (12+ credits per semester) and is $4,000 per year if attending a Maryland four-year institution full-time (12+ credits per semester for undergraduate education. You must sign and return a promissory note agreeing to begin fulfillment of your service obligation in the employment field for which your award was received within one year of completing your degree.
- Deborah Brodeur Foley Memorial Scholarship - Graduating seniors from Minnechaug Regional High School in Wilbraham pursuing nursing or an allied field.
- Edward C., Mary and Paul Marth Scholarship - Graduating seniors from St. Mary’s High School in Westfield pursuing nursing or an allied field.
- William T. Maunsell Memorial Scholarship - Graduating high school seniors from Westfield High Schoo l, Westfield Vocational Technical High School, or St. Mary's High School in Westfield, MA who have average grades and are pursuing degrees in education, criminal justice, or nursing.
- Eleanor M. Morrissey Scholarship - Graduating seniors from Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and Hampshire counties pursuing a career in nursing.
- A scholarship for nursing students at Michigan State University may help paying tuition much easier with a new grant the school has received from the Helene Fuld Health Trust. The University has received a $600,000 donation to provide scholarships for nursing students in its second-degree accelerated degree program bachelor's program.
- The Doris Koues Memorial Nursing Scholarship is available.
- Caroline E. Krajewski Manney Nursing Scholarship is awarded by the Community Visiting Nurse Association each year to one or more students from Somerset County who are enrolled in a National League for Nursing or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education accredited nursing program within the State of New Jersey and who have successfully completed at least one semester in an RN Program.
- Deb Duethorn Memorial Scholarship Fund - Deb Duethorn, a registered flight nurse, paramedic and teacher, is remembered by the community with this scholarship, created after her untimely death in 1996. Each year an award is made to a person serving in the nursing, emergency medical services, law enforcement or firefighting fields.
- Peter P. Huntington, MD Nursing Scholarship Fund - Dr. and Mrs. Huntington established this scholarship in 2001 for a second or third-year nursing student at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center School of Nursing. The recipient must demonstrate commitment to the nursing profession and financial need.
- Sr. Camilla Smith Memorial Scholarship Fund - Created in 2004 by Betty Kemz, this fund is in memory of her good friend, Sr. Camilla. Betty established this scholarship for students attending St. Elizabeth’s College of Nursing to honor Sr. Camilla’s love of the field and St. Elizabeth’s.
- Robert E. Cole Scholarship - Amount $2500, This scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior of Corning Painted Post High School or Notre Dame High School in Elmira, NY to attend an institution of higher learning with the intention of earning a degree in the health sciences, particularly medicine, nursing or physician’s assistant.
- The Kurt and Ellen Wohl Scholarship is for "non-traditional" students. This is often a student returning to school after an extended period of time. You must at least 25 years old. This award can be used for a nursing education.
- The Eileen Hickey Nursing Scholarship is available to any resident of the Mid-Hudson Valley who is pursuing a career in nursing at Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, New York. Amount: $1,000
- The Alice R. Connell Memorial Scholarship, is offered to graduating seniors in northern Chautauqua County who are pursuing a career in registered nursing.
- The Carol A. Kozlowski Nursing will be awarded to a graduating Dunkirk High School senior who will be pursuing a Registered Nursing degree. Preference is given to students from Northern Chautauqua County enrolled in Jamestown Community College's RN Program.
- The Allen Cole Memorial Award is presented to students of the Dunkirk City School District and the Fredonia Central School District who are planning on continuing their education in the area of nursing.
- Raymond T. Ryan - This award is presented to a Westfield Academy and Central School student who has been accepted at an institution of higher learning with plans to pursue a technical, nursing, or medical technology career.
- Virginia Elizabeth and Alma Vane Taylor Nursing Scholarship (pdf) provides awards for North Carolina residents seeking associate or baccalaureate nursing degrees. Preference will be given to students seeking first-time nursing degrees. Preference will be given to residents of Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin counties. To be considered, applicants must: demonstrate financial need and be accepted in an accredited North Carolina school of nursing program.
- A.D. and Peggy Hewlett and Colonel David R. Inman Scholarship - Eligible applicants must be students entering the field of nursing as licensed practical nurses, registered nurses or nurse practitioners or students entering the fields of pharmacy or physical therapy. Preference may be given, in the case of comparable applications, to students from Hancock, Daviess, or Ohio County, Kentucky. Applicants must demonstrate strong academic potential as evidenced by a transcript from the last school they attended and give examples of experience that demonstrates compassion for patients and families such as a reference from someone they have helped or a supervisor who has witnessed their care and compassion.
- Eunice Lou Gower McHugh Scholarship - Those eligible for this scholarship are students graduating from Robertson County, Tennessee high schools that are working or know they will need to work to pay for college. Students must be preparing for a career serving others, including but not limited to teaching, nursing, law enforcement, ministry, etc., and if already enrolled in college, must be maintaining a C average or better.
Virginia Nursing Scholarships
- Residents of the State of Virginia may be eligible for scholarship funds to pay for a nursing education. The Virginia Department of Health, Office of Minority Health and Public Health Policy offer several scholarships.
- Franklin D. Boyce Annual Health Scholarship Program (pdf) is open to residents of the City of Hopewell and the following localities: Prince George, Colonial Heights, Petersburg, Emporia, Fort Lee, Dinwiddie, Sussex, Surry, Chesterfield (South of Rt. 288 and East of Ironbridge Road), Charles City and Varina (Southeast Henrico, south of I-64). The scholarship amount is $2,500 and will be paid directly to the school for current year tuition, fees, books purchased through the institution attended, and on-campus dormitory and meal plan expenses. Deadline: February 15.