Young American Creative Patriotic Art Brochure
Young American Creative Patriotic Art Brochure (pdf) is a contest that gives talented art students in grades 9-12 an opportunity to compete for up to $10,000 for college. To participate, contact the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (info at ladiesauxvfw.org) to find your local chapter.
Sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, this competition requires you to combine art with patriotic vision.
Participants must submit entries to a local Ladies Auxiliary Scholarships Chairman by March 31.
The first-place winner from each Ladies Auxiliary will be sent to the Department Scholarships Chairman for judging.
- Students must be in grades 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Students must attend school in the same state as the sponsoring Ladies Auxiliary.
- Home-schooled students are eligible; foreign-exchange students are not.
- National winners of the past contests may not compete in future Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contests.
Young American Contest Rules
Art must be on paper or canvas. Water color, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen-and-ink, or oil may be used.
Submit canvas entries on stretcher frames.
Other entries must be matted on white. Do not use other color mats.
In matting, use heavy paper to reinforce back. Mounted and fl oating mats may also be used.
The art should be no smaller than 8" x 10" but no larger than 18" x 24", not including mat.
- Be sure to complete entry form and attach to back of entry.
- Note that you must be sponsored by a Ladies Auxiliary or a foreign-based Ladies Auxiliary or Post.
Package art so that it can be mailed without being damaged.
If you use the American Flag in your entry, it must conform to the Federal Flag Code as far as color,
number of stars and stripes, and other pertinent rules of the code.
Entry must have been done during the current school year—note that you must have your
teacher’s signature. Each student may submit only one entry.
Each entry will be judged on the originality of concept, presentation, and patriotism expressed;
the content of how it relates to patriotism and clarity of ideas; the design technique; total impact
of work; and uniqueness.
Digital art is not accepted.
Do not frame!