Sylvia K. Burack Writing Award Competition
The Sylvia K. Burack Writing Award is a writing contest for juniors and seniors made in memory of Sylvia K. Burack, an editor and publisher of The Writer magazine.
Submit a previously unpublished 600- to 800-word personal essay in English on the following topic: "Select a work of fiction, poem or play that has influenced you. Discuss the work and explain how it affected you." No song lyrics.
• Publication in The Writer magazine and on WriterMag.com
• A one-year subscription to The Writer
• A copy of the Gotham Writers' Workshop anthology Fiction Gallery
- You must be a student in grade 11 or 12 attending a U.S. or Canadian high school at the time you submit the essay.
- The winner will be asked to provide proof of enrollment in grade 11 or 12 in a U.S. or Canadian high school.
- Employees of The Writer, Kalmbach Publishing Co. and Gotham Writers' Workshop and their families are not eligible to participate.